Are You Getting Enough Sleep?
Sleep is a basic necessity of life. It is just as important as air, food, and water. Most adults are supposed to get between 7-9 hours of sleep, yet 25% of U.S. adults reported insufficient sleep or rest at least 15 out of 30 days. Sleep needs are individual, but there are ways to prioritize your life and come up with a healthy sleep strategy.
Loss of sleep can have a negative effect on your health, family, and interpersonal relationships. Sleepiness can reduce productivity and increase the chance for accidents. Adequate sleep is necessary to function properly and to live a healthier life.
A healthy sleep strategy can get you on the right track to a becoming a healthier you. Here are some sleep tips to get you started:
- regulate your body’s clock by having a consistent bedtime and wake-up time, even on weekends, to help you fall asleep and sleep soundly
- have a bedtime ritual away from bright lights to help your mind separate sleep time from activities that may cause excitement, stress, or anxiety
- avoid naps, even power-naps, if you have a hard time falling asleep at night
- exercise daily even if it is light exercising
- feng shui your room
- set the temperature between 60 and 67 degrees
- free the room from noise and light
- have black-out curtains or a “white noise” machine
- have a comfortable mattress and pillow
Final tip: To be your best self, just get some sleep! 🙂
Kristy Marshall, LMBT
Urbana Wellness Spa